How do you live in a home you’ve already listed for sale? Follow these five tips:
1. Start packing now. The secret to getting a house clutter-free is to remove the things you can live without while the home is on the market. For example, remove seasonal clothes from your closets. This will give them the appearance of being spacious. Also, straighten your clothes in your closets, as this will give the impression of a neat home with generous space.
2. Store it, sell it, throw it out, or donate it. Doing this won’t just give you a head start on moving—buyers appreciate the extra space when searching for homes.
3. Get squeaky-clean. A clean house can gain you $5,000 to $10,000 on your home sale. Aim for five-star hotel perfection when cleaning sinks, glass, mirrors, windows, and toilets. Details do matter. It’s all about the feeling when a buyer is selecting a home. Let them feel impressed—this will translate into them writing an offer quicker and for more money.
4. Maintain your privacy and safety. Protect your valuables and the things that are important to you. Put them away, and when in doubt, lock them up.
5. Hire a real estate stylist. Real estate stylists are essential when your home is for sale, so ask your agent to recommend one. They help with furniture placement and can help confirm that a home is best prepared for showings. We have found that a furnished home sells faster. Ask your agent or stylist for recommendations on renting furniture if needed.
If you have any questions about this topic or how I can help you capitalize on our market, don’t hesitate to call or email me. I’d be glad to help.